INSTALLATIONS of Floorcoverings.

The most important day in the life of your new floorcoverings is, the day it is Installed !

The professional Craftsman makes up approximately 10% of the Industry and Journeyman / Cowboys makes up the other 90% of the Industry, a Craftsman is seldom given the recognition they deserve, most don't want it, as they know they are already at the top of their field ! So, if you read the following and don't agree, unfortunately YOU are the type of person that stifles the growth of this industry.

Installing Floorcoverings in a "Domestic" residence at times, requires a complex knowledge of people skills, technical knowledge and ability. or you may not get a very good installation, that will last more than a few months or years!

Commercial installations require an even different set of skills and thinking !

OK, the most important tool of your Tradesman/Craftsman will be the grey matter between there ears :o) and they should not really need to use a power stretcher for "almost" all carpets (But a power stretcher will make the job a lot easier on the knees) as the average "Journeyman" will not really know how to install the diversity of today's Carpets and backings with the use of a knee kicker as, most cowboys still use Domestic smoothedging, this alone causes a large array of problems, in fact a "Master craftsman" does not need to use a power stretcher in most Installations as if they have any common sense they will not only use Industrial Architectural Smoothedge, they also should give you the best advice on underlays (if using any that is), thus your new carpet should never develop wrinkles or bubbles (see #), so long as their is no sub-floor problems and the correct underlay be used along with Architectural Smoothedge being able to be installed properly to the sub-floor. Floorcovering Layers should ONLY use Architectural (commercial) Smoothedging, that is to all Jobs that are to be installed with Smoothedge, that alone would eliminating a HUGE slice of the problems associated with bad installations and not to mention long term Damage to the Installers Knees, usually caused by several things, one being, having to Re-Kick or Re-Stretch the carpet to Standard Smoothedging (commonly known as "Domestic Smoothedge" I deem as RUBBISH) but it was a good invention in it's Initial development, but it has now become one of the cost cutting Marketing Ploy adopted by the masses, firstly this may be especially felt when unfortunately, skirting board or walls are Marked or Damaged, usually only on Concrete installations because of firstly the force that is required to drive the hardened nails in to a Concrete floor and secondly the Closeness of the nail to the Skirting or Walls, this very rarely happens with Architectural Smoothedging unless you have a Cowboy swinging a hammer.

Initially a Tradesman should be able to visualise the correct layout of your carpet at a glance, thereby optimising the use of seams and traffic areas in your new carpet. His expertise will be able to advise you on the type of carpet to use and he will make sure all the material is running the correct direction. If a salesman tells you that "normal piled" carpet is non directional, run from this person, he should be selling used Cars in a checkered tuxedo, he is lying to you, with only one CLOSE acceptation I have seen thus far (Fusion Bonded carpet).

Almost gone are the good old days of soft and STRONG flexible NATURAL JUTE backings that can be "Knee Kicked" in nice and taunt, as most of the petrochemical and inferior natural backings don't have the memory retention of a strong and heavy duty secondary Natural fiber backing.

Most problems I have seen with petrochemical (action back) and combination backings were caused by;

The inferior lamination of the Primary backing to the Secondary backing, usually inferior weight of the secondary backing (8oz secondary Jute backing is considered standard but is really a Domestic weight) and/or inadequate amounts of glue to laminate the two, especially if the Carpet was manufactured in the winter period.
Incorrect underlays installed. (Non bedding, too soft or inferior quality used for that particular application)
Installed on Domestic Smoothedge. (Not enough rows of retaining pins and to narrow to do a proper job)
Installed by "Persons/Cowboys" that don't really give a dam !!!
Maybe ALL of the above, as these decisions are usually been made by the persons you are dealing with or their company's standards !

Trade TermsInstallation InfoInstallation Rates and ServicesFloorcoverings Selections

(#) See also Life and Death of your carpet,

Are YOU a Quality or a Price Purchaser, The 10 Carpet "Truths"  

Back to the Detailed INFORMATION PAGE

All contents are the views and opinion of the author. This page is for information only and is (C) Copyrighted not intended for reproduction without the consent of the Author.